According to World Health Organisation (WHO) as of 18 January 2022, there have been an accumulated 328.5 million confirmed cases of COVID-19, including 5.5 million deaths, reported to WHO. About 9.4 billion vaccine doses have been administered across the globe of which only 6.5% were shared among the countries in the southern hemisphere.
We see no end of the COVID-19 pandemic anytime soon. Omicron variant continues to sweep the globe causing social and economic interruptions to people’s daily life activities. We remain concerned about countries with low vaccination rates, as unvaccinated people are many times more at risk of severe illness and death.
The compilation of the relevant to the topic the news articles, recommended by Peoples Vaccine Alliance:
- A new COVID-19 vaccine being developed – cheaper, patent free and easier to make. You can read about it here: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jan/15/corbevax-covid-vaccine-texas-scientists
- Scientist letter to UK government. It calls for the UK government to support the adoption of the proposed World Trade Organization waiver on intellectual property (IP) protection for COVID-19 heath technologies. Access it here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdFmK8i82zxaz3UY7U8a3mxLew-GiMAoHxfkVMMfsOMMiSpDg/viewform
- 7 reasons the EU is wrong about blocking the waiver. Link: https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/06/03/seven-reasons-eu-wrong-oppose-trips-waiver
- Winnie Byanyima on learning from the failure of 2021, déjà vu & achieving a Peoples’ Vaccine Alliance. Link: https://www.project-syndicate.org/commentary/pharmaceutical-monopoly-on-covid-19-vaccines-must-end-by-winnie-byanyima-2021-12?barrier=accesspaylog
- A blog on vaccine inequality. The blog feature is titled Prejudices and Privileges: how can we explain the terrible vaccine inequity of the COVID-19 response? Link: https://www.results.org.uk/blog/prejudices-and-privileges-how-can-we-explain-terrible-vaccine-inequity-covid-19-response
The Humana People to People remains committed to do our part in raising awareness on COVID-19 pandemic prevention and stressing the importance of participating in the national vaccination initiatives.